Pelican Public Relations + Integrated Marketing
Poking The Bear : Grizzly Bear Challenge
In 2012, using their advanced technology, Pelican Products, Inc. entered the competitive cooler market, introducing Pelican Elite Coolers to their consumer line of products. The Nonprofit Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center (GWDC) in West Yellowstone, Montana cooperates with state and federal agencies in the testing of bear-resistant food and garbage storage containers. With full confidence in its coolers, Pelican entered their 70QT Elite Cooler to the bear product testing procedure and invited some notable media to observe. Pelican not only passed the test to earn the official “bear-resistant” certification, they were the last cooler standing.
The product was placed in the bear habitat and baited with enticing human foods like salmon. The bears are given 60 minutes to try to break into the container, and after 60 minutes the item is considered officially “tested”. If the bears are unable to get inside the container or get food from it, the container passes as “bear-resistant” and receives certification from the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC). Pelican is now able to utilize this certification and legitimately declare themselves as leaders of quality in the industry. After earning the IGBC “bear-resistant” certification, 48 West leveraged the video of the Pelican cooler undergoing the 60 minute bear test to pitch to national media. Sometimes you have to poke the bear…
- Market Research
- National Public Relations
- Outdoor Retailer Tradeshow Marketing
- Feature story on CBS Evening News “Made in America” with David Muir, a national segment demonstrating the test and showcasing the Pelican brand.
- Popular Mechanics product review and endorsement.
- Market Research
- Public Relations
- Influencer Marketing
- Winner 2018 American Marketing Association Spectrum Awards Best of Integrated Marketing Campaign Category.
- Finalist 2018 American Marketing Association Spectrum Awards New Product Category.
- 2017 Pro Tool Innovation Award award in Lighting-Portable Work Lights. The awards were promoted on the ProTool website and websites of over a dozen media partners websites as well as their Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn social media outlets.
- The award was mentioned in targeted industrial outlets like Officer.com, Industrial Equipment News and Police Magazine.com in later 2017.
- National Media Coverage
- PR Coverage Views: 260K
- Online Readership: 362 Million
- Average Domain Authority: 62
- Links from Coverage: 29
- Social Shares (Google+, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn): 1674
- Video views: 42,245